Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inGallerySupport

Where You Live

Go down 
+2
Blue Moon
Debp
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 2:00 am

Would be fun to see where everyone lives and tell a bit about your area.

I am in Los Angeles, California. Of course, you all know quite a bit about L.A. So I'll tell you a few things you might not know.

We have a subway system (the Redline) which runs from Union Station in downtown and goes all the way to North Hollywood. The station at Hollywood/Highland lets you off at the Kodak Theatre where the Academy Awards are held. Mann's Chinese Theatre is right next door with the footprints, etc, of the "stars." The "Universal City" station is by Universal Studios and there is a free tram that takes you up the hill to the Studios and Citywalk. (We also have light rail trains that go to Pasadena, Long Beach, and the airport area.)

If you ever come to L.A., don't miss Olvera Street where L.A. was founded. It is a quaint street of shops with colorful handicrafts and Mexican cafes built into the original buildings....lots of atmosphere, you'll feel like you are in "Old Mexico." Mexican guitarists/singers serenade you and there are also Mexican folk dance groups that perform on the weekends and holidays.
Back to top Go down
Blue Moon
Blue Moon

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Hey Debp, I was in California when I was 16 and loved it. We stayed with my aunt and uncle who lived in the former home of Liberace's brother, the violinist. It was in Granada Hills.

I live in a predominately German community. We host Oktoberfest every October and are overrun with tourists then. It's a loud time, so that we are certainly grateful when it's over.
The city I live in is pretty quiet, and safe. Not a lot of violent crime at all, which is comforting at my age.

We are not far from Amish communities and I have to admit to a certain fascination with their way of life.
In the spring we have a maple syrup festival in another nearby community. I am probably the only Canadian who cannot stand maple syrup though.

Travel down the highway and 45 minutes brings you to the "Stratford Festival" which is an absolute must to attend. The Stratford Festival has attracted many famous actors and actresses, who have graced the stage with their performances in many of Shakespeare's well loved plays.
Back to top Go down
Bruno
Bruno

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:05 pm

I live in the tiny village of Feldkirch with its 900 inhabitants in Alsace... it is the part of Alsace which was part of the Hapsburg Empire before French king Louis XIV annexed it...
We have a fishing pond, a soccer team and a few gardening entreprises...

Blue Moon do you know Campbellford ?
Back to top Go down
http://yapapire.blogg.org/
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:05 am

Blue Moon, sounds like a very interesing area to live in! My childhood was spent in Pennsylvania so I am familiar with the Amish people but I lived in the city and didn't see any (just once saw a family of Amish visiting the zoo). Their horse drawn carriages must be fun to see and their quilts are lovely.

Bruno, how interesting to live in a small village! Is it like they show in movies/tv....with people walking to tiny bakeries, cafes, etc, and just enjoying life? I imagine the architecture must be very old and pretty?

In a way my area of L.A. is like a town in that I can walk to all sorts of restaurants, markets, banks, etc. Also, can hop on the subway just down the street. Btw, each of our subway stations has different, gigantic works of art....murals, sculptures, tile work, a gigantic aquarium. The Hollywood/Vine station is made to look like an old-time "movie palace" and the ceiling is covered with thousands of actual old, movie reels.
Back to top Go down
Blue Moon
Blue Moon

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:51 am

Bruno wrote:
I live in the tiny village of Feldkirch with its 900 inhabitants in Alsace... it is the part of Alsace which was part of the Hapsburg Empire before French king Louis XIV annexed it...
We have a fishing pond, a soccer team and a few gardening entreprises...

Blue Moon do you know Campbellford ?

Campbellford rings a bell, but it's my husband who would know.if we are near it. I am so geographically challenged it's pitiful. When we moved form the apartment into our house, his sister called me for directions. I told her how to get from where I worked, (just up the street from our house) to our house. She was so sweet, but she needed directions to where my workplace was from her house. Now that was not something I could do, so she had to wait until my hubby got home.
17 years we have been together this year, and I still couldn't find the way to his Dad's house, sad, but true.
Back to top Go down
boxerpaws
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
boxerpaws

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:15 am

my childhood was spent in Pennsylvania (Where you can see the Amish every day)and have spent my whole life in Pennsylvania.My future husband to be was born in Pa south of here.

I will never ever leave.The foliage is too pretty in autumn.There is no crime rate to speak of.

My dream is to learn French (in due time)as i get the word out about an AWESOME FRENCH FAN SITE FOR SUSAN run by none other than our friend Bruno.
It's a keeper and i hope he gets a lot of activity soon!!

FRANCE AIME SUSAN
Back to top Go down
http://shehastalent.ning.com/
boxerpaws
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
boxerpaws

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:19 pm

that was a hint to get the word around
Where You Live 43141310
Back to top Go down
http://shehastalent.ning.com/
Bruno
Bruno

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:32 pm

boxerpaws wrote:
that was a hint to get the word around
Where You Live 43141310

I've contacted people from Switzerland and Belgium with my French contacts... just wait...
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 8:15 am

boxerpaws wrote:
my childhood was spent in Pennsylvania (Where you can see the Amish every day)and have spent my whole life in Pennsylvania.My future husband to be was born in Pa south of here.

I will never ever leave.The foliage is too pretty in autumn.There is no crime rate to speak of.

My dream is to learn French (in due time)as i get the word out about an AWESOME FRENCH FAN SITE FOR SUSAN run by none other than our friend Bruno.
It's a keeper and i hope he gets a lot of activity soon!!

FRANCE AIME SUSAN

Yes, Pennsylvania has very beautiful countryside. I have happy childhood memories of the lovely trees, flowers, etc. Of course, the Autumn and Winter scenes, too.

And Bruno, congrats on your website! Is it possible to translate it into English? I know some sites have a place to click to do that.
Back to top Go down
Bruno
Bruno

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:02 am

I think it is possible to have a translation...
I ask my manager what is to be done...
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:40 am

This is cute....a duck family takes up residence at Fox Studios.

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/offbeat/Ducks_at_FOX_Studios_20090513
Back to top Go down
Bruno
Bruno

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 1:10 am

Bruno wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8058221.stm

US home of ducklings ?

Bruno, thanks for that.....it is so very wonderful for him to help the ducks like that!! So cute when they were walking to the pond, too!

Do you have any ponds/ducks in your area? I think ponds in the countryside/towns are pretty. Being in the "big city", we have some ducks in some of our parks. Also, there are famous cemeteries called Forest Lawn here (they are quite beautiful)....one of them in Glendale, CA is the one I usually go to, once in a great while. There is a lovely fountain there with swans and ducks.

Also at Forest Lawn Glendale are many art works (replicas) of famous statues in Italy and Copenhagen. Also, the largest religious paintings in the world (the crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ) are there. Those paintings are so very large that they laid rolled up in a warehouse for many, many years. Finally, the founder of Forest Lawn found them and had a gigantic building built to display them at Forest Lawn Glendale. The artist was Polish and it's amazing how he did such large, realistic paintings with such details.
Back to top Go down
Anghelita
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Anghelita

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 8:11 pm

I guess I'm the only Asian here...
I lived in this country all my life, though I've been to L.A about 2 years ago visiting some friends. It's a nice place and I really had fun there.
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:12 am

Anghelita wrote:
I guess I'm the only Asian here...
I lived in this country all my life, though I've been to L.A about 2 years ago visiting some friends. It's a nice place and I really had fun there.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit here!
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 5:15 am

Bumping this up in case some new members want to tell a bit about their city or town.
Back to top Go down
mirthcolorado
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
mirthcolorado

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:41 am

Debp;
Yes I would love too. Well I live in Englewood Colorado, It is close to Denver, about 9 miles.
South of Denver. I have to say that I am not a traveler. Angelina, Have never had the opportunity to travel to Asia! Bruno, I never knew the US was the home of ducklings!!!lol
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 9:27 am

mirthcolorado wrote:
Debp;
Yes I would love too. Well I live in Englewood Colorado, It is close to Denver, about 9 miles.
South of Denver. I have to say that I am not a traveler. Angelina, Have never had the opportunity to travel to Asia! Bruno, I never knew the US was the home of ducklings!!!lol

Mirthcolorado, I have had the opportunity to visit several Asian countries. It's quite a fascinating area of the world. And in alot of countries there, people are still living quite primitively. But Singapore is extremely modern.
Back to top Go down
Bruno
Bruno

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:13 pm

mirthcolorado wrote:
Bruno, I never knew the US was the home of ducklings!!!lol

The USA are a big country...
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:17 am

Bruno wrote:
mirthcolorado wrote:
Bruno, I never knew the US was the home of ducklings!!!lol

The USA are a big country...

Yeah, we do have alot of ducks! Laughing Including a hockey team....I think it's Anaheim's team. I don't follow hockey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where You Live Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where You Live   Where You Live Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where You Live
Page 1 of 1