Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inGallerySupport

Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Empty
PostSubject: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 9:30 am

Recently I've been catching some of "Miss Marple" on Masterpiece Theatre. I love those British detective shows....good plots and the scenery is so interesting, too. Does anyone else watch them?
Back to top Go down
Mrs Delahunty
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Mrs Delahunty

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:17 pm

Do you mean the series with Geraldine McEwan? I´ve only seen 1 or 2 episodes and must say that I definitely prefer Margaret Rutherford although Mrs McEwan´s Miss Marple is much closer to the books but grew up with Margret Ruhtherford and I guess you don´t get this out of your mind.

I love all the British crime shows.Such as "Midsomer Murder","Wire in the Blood","The Inspector Lynley Mysteries" etc. because they have the perfect mix of action and atmosphere
Back to top Go down
http://www.dames-art.net
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 am

Mrs Delahunty wrote:
Do you mean the series with Geraldine McEwan? I´ve only seen 1 or 2 episodes and must say that I definitely prefer Margaret Rutherford although Mrs McEwan´s Miss Marple is much closer to the books but grew up with Margret Ruhtherford and I guess you don´t get this out of your mind.

I love all the British crime shows.Such as "Midsomer Murder","Wire in the Blood","The Inspector Lynley Mysteries" etc. because they have the perfect mix of action and atmosphere

I didn't catch the name of the actress (tuned in slightly late) but apparently they will be on for awhile Sunday nights.

I did catch several of the Inspector Lynley shows! Interesting, too.

When I was much younger, I loved to read mysteries. Had the whole set of Nancy Drew books. Laughing
Back to top Go down
M L
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
M L

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 am

I never miss those Masterpiece shows. They are always so well-crafted and acted which delights me.

Lately, I have gotten into MI5. That's very smart and exciting. In general, I think I like the British crime dramas more than I do our American ones.

And I like this new Miss Marple. I think I may be in the minority, but I like her.
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 am

M L wrote:
I never miss those Masterpiece shows. They are always so well-crafted and acted which delights me.

Lately, I have gotten into MI5. That's very smart and exciting. In general, I think I like the British crime dramas more than I do our American ones.

And I like this new Miss Marple. I think I may be in the minority, but I like her.

I also like the British crime shows better than ours. Ours tend to be too gory....showing autopsies, etc! Too gross for me....I stopped watching them as they were rather depressing. The British shows are just a good "who done it?"
Back to top Go down
M L
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
M L

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:59 am

[quote="Debp
I also like the British crime shows better than ours. Ours tend to be too gory....showing autopsies, etc! Too gross for me....I stopped watching them as they were rather depressing. The British shows are just a good "who done it?"[/quote]

I think our crime shows rely too much on car chases, gore and extreme situations while you are right, the British shows do real "who done it" stories.

Another thing I like about British TV is that their actors are better. They don't rely on good looks alone. They actually can act and I much prefer that. Then I can get all wrapped up in the story instead of thinking, "Wow, isn't he/she gorgeous." Or the detectives/crime scene people are in white pants, no gloves and spike heels. Give me a break! I like a good story that is well-written and well-acted and the British seem much better at that than we are these days.
Back to top Go down
Debp
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Susan Boyle Forum Member
Debp

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:45 am

M L wrote:
[quote="Debp
I also like the British crime shows better than ours. Ours tend to be too gory....showing autopsies, etc! Too gross for me....I stopped watching them as they were rather depressing. The British shows are just a good "who done it?"

quote by ML I think our crime shows rely too much on car chases, gore and extreme situations while you are right, the British shows do real "who done it" stories.

Another thing I like about British TV is that their actors are better. They don't rely on good looks alone. They actually can act and I much prefer that. Then I can get all wrapped up in the story instead of thinking, "Wow, isn't he/she gorgeous." Or the detectives/crime scene people are in white pants, no gloves and spike heels. Give me a break! I like a good story that is well-written and well-acted and the British seem much better at that than we are these days.[/quote]

I caught a couple of episodes (British) about the blonde lady detective....forgot the name of the series. It was a bit too depressing for me so I didn't watch all of it. But one thing the actress said was she actually went around with a lady detective and learned how they really act, etc.

One thing the actress mentioned is that the lady detectives will always wear short hair so the criminals cannot grab their hair!! The actress had short hair in the series.....but look at our American lady detectives.....long flowing hair!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows   Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Masterpiece Theatre and British detective shows
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other :: TV Shows-
Jump to: